20 Things I've Learnt at 20

Tuesday 2 February 2016


Now 2016 is truly here and kicking, I can't even believe that we're into February now. I feel like time is just slipping away from me. It's craaaaaazy.

With a near year always comes a time for reflection with me. In 2015, I was exposed to a lot of chaos and a fair too much happened for my liking - and not in a good way.

With those negative (soz not soz) thoughts in mind AND me trying wholeheartedly to be more mindful... I know, I know. I figured I would write a reflective post about things I've learnt since turning 20.

I always thought turning 20 was sooooo old, but I've never felt more childlike in my life. I feel like adulthood just smacks you out of nowhere, and it's assumed you should just know everything like how deal with banks, and mortgages and how to cook edible food that won't make you humongous.

They should really start teaching essential life skills in school.


20 Things I've Learnt at 20:

1. THE 5 P'S always.

If you don't know the 5 P's, you should do. [Google is your friend.]

2. The importance of a skincare routine.

I always took my clear skin for granted, and never didn't have any good habits when it came to caring for my skin. If there's anything I've learnt, it's put down those drying make-up wipes, I know they're easy and cheap but so is Micellar Water!

3. Low maintenance friendships.

The best friends are the ones you don't have to see every day, but when you do it's like nothing has ever changed. Low-key friendships are da bomb.

4. Exercise is super important.

I've always been an active person, dancing, swimming and partaking in karate from a young age. Since stopping all those activities (and the gym, oops). I've definitely seen a huge change. Now just weight wise, and how I view myself, but generally on a mood wise too. Going to the gym was such a great de-stresser for me, even if it's just once or twice a week.

Your body will thank you for it!

5. It's okay to say no.

I'm still figuring this one out. I've always really struggled when it came to saying no - but I don't see why. Maybe it's a British people probs. I guess I've just never wanted to feel like I'm letting someone down. But it's okay.

If you don't feel like doing overtime at work because you're stressed enough as it is. Say no. If you're not up to going into town to grab a coffee with a pal. Say no. Your wellbeing is more important.

6. Switch off.

Ha ha ha ha ha - switch off. As a person with a social media addiction - I'm sure you're laughing. I am too. But it's so important to take time away from the internet, and social media. Go for a walk on a crisp winter morning, or even a run (if you're brave enough.)

Taking time out is needed, whether it's just an hour here or there. Treat yourself. Have a relaxing bath!

7. You'll question your life choices - and that's okay.

As a person with an active mind, an over-thinker and a sufferer of anxiety - I feel you on this one. I'm forever questioning whether I've taken the right path, should I have stuck at university doing a course I loathed? Should I have eaten that giant chocolate brownie for lunch..... and again at dinner?

There are times where you're going to doubt yourself, and that's cool. But just trust your gut, you'll work it all out in the end. And life is far too short to be worrying about the choices you've made. Hate your job? Find another one. Why haven't I met my soul mate yet? He could be around the corner. Just chill.

8. Love yourself.

In the great words of JB - love yourself. The moment you start loving yourself for who you are, everything will come up roses.

Stop comparing yourself to photo-shopped images in a crappy magazine. Life would be pretty boring if we were all carbon copies of each other.

9. No one knows what they're really doing.

Absolutely no-one has their shit together, so don't be fooled.

10. Age means absolutely nothing.

Regardless of if you're 16, 24, 39 or 90. It doesn't mean sweet F A. If you wanna do something then don't let your age hold you back.

Stop looking at society for answers and rules about what you can and can't do. Get married at 21. Have a child at 45. I mean, I applaud you. Life is too short to be worrying about numbers.

11. Your parents are probably right.

If you have super cool parents like I do - lol. Big up Lou and Lee. You'll start to realise that they were probably right about a lot of things whilst being a teen. Especially, trust yo momma about boys. I swear Lou has like some weird telepathic powers that just dug out fuckboys.


12. Save. Save. Save.

I can't believe I'm saying this cus I'm honestly the worst person with money. I think mine actually runs away or s/t. But honestly, especially if you're planning on going to university, try and save as much as you can. Because living on £15 a week and somehow squeezing in 3 nights out is truly a life-skill. But logically, probably impossible. Hats off to you if you've got this down to a T though.

13. You're not defined by a piece of paper.

By piece of paper I mean CV. If you haven't got the right qualifications for a job, but it's a dream job - go for it! Experience speaks volumes. Get yourself out there, email people util their sick of you and have to give you some work experience. Stop worrying about exam results they don't mean everything.

14. Dominoes is always a shout.

If you're gonna buy a pizza - even at 1am.... It always has to be Dominoes.

15. Everything happens for a reason - what a cliche.

But it's true! I'm a firm believer of this. So when you're down on your luck just think that better things are coming. Having a positive outlook can be great for the mind! (Even coming from a downright pessimist.)

16. Primark is class.

To that girl who told you in high school that you shouldn't wear Primark clothes - you can tell her where to go. Primark is unreal. Bargain hunt to your heart's content I say.

17. Being 'alone' and being 'lonely' are two separate things.

It's okay to enjoy your own company. Most people do - they just act like the socialite they're assumed to be.

18. Nothing beats Saturday night on a sofa with a curry. Oh and a bottle of wine.

Forget spending 3 hours making sure your contour is on point, only for it to melt away 2 hours in whilst you're having a tactical thunder in the loos, after having 5 shots of Sambuca. Saturday nights are made for nights in.

19. Get a dog.

There's nothing more loyal and lovable than a dog. Tobes is legit my best mate.

20. Read more.

Books. Magazines. Blogs. Whatever. You name it - read it.



If you don't feel hella motivated after reading this - then tell yourself you a boss ass b*tch and get yourself out there gal. You got dis.

For now,






Copyright © Pint Sized Soph
Design by Fearne