Why Growing Up is Crap

Saturday 26 March 2016

Sophie-Anne Hamilton, UK Lifestyle Blog


Hola you lovely lot, today's post is a bit of a reflective one I'd say. Do you ever just have those days where you think life is pretty sh*t, and growing up is pretty crap?

I just feel like adulthood just comes from nowhere and slaps you around the face, and suddenly you're forking out for endless bills, a new set of tires and you're expected to save from your minimum wage job?

You're left thinking, what sort of sick joke is this... well, at least that's how I feel. Here are some other feels - let me know if you have any more to add!

You can't handle hangovers

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems the older I get, the less I can handle my hangovers? It's like my body just rejects any sort of fun and wants me to start being a boring adult. I mean, I love my body, but I just want to be able to drink 6 large glasses of wine at the weekend, without feeling like my head is exploding the next day, k?

You get a bit fat

Surely we've all been there. Scrolling through your Instagram, after crying about everything that's wrong in your life, and thinking why do I not still have the figure I did when I was 16 *crying emoji*.  You actually start having to make effort to go the gym, and going to the gym regularly. But when you're working full-time, the last thing you want to do is spend your free time in the gym. Well, I know I do...

You probably hate your job

The most annoying thing about growing up has to be grabbing a full-time job, that you absolutely love. If you're fresh out of uni you're probably scrolling daily through the internet trying to find a job that 1. isn't crap pay and 2. you'll actually enjoy. You might be bright, eyed and bushy tailed, but it just seems like that dream career is a bigger reach than you thought. But, you've just got to get on with it, because the bills don't pay themselves. Unless obviously you have a great job, and if you do, I'm jel. 

You have to buy things you need, and not want

You have to start buying 'adult' things, like sofas and plates and half of IKEA. There's less of those impromptu trips to Boots, spending £40 on products you probably don't need, but they're on offer so they're going in my basket. You have to start budgeting your life, something I absolutely suck at but I guess I'm getting better at. 

You can count your friends on one hand

I guess this is a pro and a con. It totally sucks finding out who you can actually trust, and who is really there for you, but it's just a part of life. You can probably go ahead and delete 80% of your Facebook friends. Unless, you're like me and you love stalking those people that sat next to you in GCSE Maths and thinking, I'm doing good for myself. The positive is that you find some real gems on the way. When you've found your gems, keep them close. Life can get pretty tough, and having real friends makes it all the difference. 

Birthdays and Christmas aren't the same

Like, seriously though, how good was Christmas when you were 8 years old? I actually miss believing in Santa and the excitement I used to get in my tummy when I discovered Rudolf had actually eaten the carrot I'd left for him. As for birthdays, they're its little reminders that you're just another year older. You're also reminded that your clock is ticking and you probably should start thinking about getting your sh*t together. 


Now I am aware that growing up is also great, you have this new found freedom and it's great knowing your life can really take off. But it's also scary as hell.

What do you think the worst thing about growing up is? I'd love to know!

Love,




Copyright © Pint Sized Soph
Design by Fearne