What's Really in My Winter Makeup Bag?

Wednesday 14 December 2016

I'm gonna put it out there, I'm a student and I have no money. This means my make-up bag is not going to full of high-end after high-end product, but I thought I would share with you what's really in my winter make up bag. These are some of my favourite products from the drugstore, and they deserve to be raved about. 


Primer: One Heck of a Blot by Soap and Glory

I don’t always use a primer, I only really tend to grab this if I’m going out, or I want my face to be a full-on look rather than natural. However, this is a staple in my handbag and arguably my favourite drugstore primer. 


Foundation: Vichy Dermablend in 05 Porcelain (*)

I was kindly sent this foundation from the lovely team at Vichy, and was really excited to give this foundation a-go. For me, the coverage is medium to full, and this is a foundation I’ll reach for if I want a little more coverage on those pesky red bits and imperfections. It’s quite yellow-toned for a porcelain foundation and for me, I think the foundation could have been a little lighter for us paler folk. But, I would really recommend this if you’re in the market for a foundation in the drugstore region, but that has a little more oomf and coverage. 


Concealer: Collection Lasting Perfection in 01 | LA Girl PRO Conceal in Porcelain 

Collection concealer should be a staple in every beauty enthusiasts’ make-up bag. You’ve probably seen this concealer doing the rounds on Youtube, blogs and social media for like, well forever.  This concealer is great for covering over any red marks, but not amazing for (again, pale folk) for highlighting. Another new found love, is the LA Girl concealer. I’d seen these on Beauty Bay and for the price had to try them out. I really love this concealer. it doesn’t give as much coverage but it still does a great job!


Contour: Barry M Chisel Cheeks Contour Stick in No. 2 Contour 

In the Winter, I really like using more cream based products. I think these products are a little more long lasting against the harsh weather conditions we have to brace in the UK. A recent purchase of mine is the Barry M Chisel Cheeks, this comes as a pair, with what is marketed as a ‘highlighter’ but it’s more of a strange concealer…. which I don’t really use. The contour stick, however, is ah-mazing! I basically draw on my lines for contour, and then blend with my beauty blender and voila - contoured cheeks in like a second.  


Eyebrows: Nyx Micro-Brow | Nyx Tame and Frame Brow Pomade 

Ever since NYX made an appearance in Boots in the UK, I have been all over that shit like a rash. I live for the NYX. My favourite products have to be these two - apart from the Matt Lip Creams, cus oh ma gawd, absolute lip dreams. But, firstly the NYX Micro-Brow is literally a god send - that stuff makes my brows look, almost insta-worthy. I’ve seen a lot of people compare this to the ABH Brow Wiz - but this gal doesn’t have money to throw at the world so couldn’t comment on that one. Secondly, is my ultimate fave brow pomade. This stuff is made from magic, I swear. I’ve only recently got on with this product, and I would advise this product is more for those who enjoy a strong brow. But yas. These two products are literally an all-round, every season beauty staple. 


Eyeliner: L'Oreal Superliner So Couture 

I rarely wear eyeliner, and I kinda just wear it when I’m having a more glam-look. But this eyeliner has been a staple in my bag forever. I used to try so many different eyeliners, even the Soph and Glory raved about Supercat just didn’t do it for me. But this L’Oreal liner is a forever product now. 


Mascara: Maybelline Lash Sensational

I’m yet to find a mascara I love as much as I love Benefit Bad Gal Lash, cus that stuff slays. However, these two are a budget friendly option if you don’t wanna shed out that little bit extra, ya know, student feels. When Lash Sensational had all that hype, I literally had no idea what people were seeing. It took me a while to get used to this product, but now I can’t live without it. The wand is great at really separating your lashes and making the most of what ya got. 


Powder: Vichy Dermablend (*)

This was also given to me along with the foundation, and now I wouldn’t go back to any other powder. The tub is like massive, and when I say massive, I mean massive. I feel like this would last for years (if sanitary issues weren’t a thing). I literally use this to bake under my eyes, and just to dust over my face and it does a banging job.


Bronzer: Benefit Hoola

I think this has been my favourite bronzer since like the age of 15 and I got it in a Christmas gift set. This is the stuff dreams are made of. So many bloggers rave about this, and rightly so. It is slightly warm-toned, but when you’re as pasty as Casper the Friendly Ghost, then a gal gotta get all the warmness she can get. No one will ever know I have a Vitamin D deficiency with this bad boy sunning-up my face. 


Blusher: Benefit Dandelion 

This blusher is like the cutest pink blush, and I’m not even a fan of blush. I don’t really have much to say about this product other than it’s great. I’m sure there are cheaper alternatives, but 2016 me just wasn’t about that blush life - but I can assure you 2012 me would have lapped that shit up. 


Lips: Nyx Matte Liquid Suede in Sandstorm

The ultimate nude. This lipstick is my life. I don’t think there’s a day I don’t go without it, and as Leon said “it just does something” for me. The formula is a lot more hydrating than the normal soft matte lip creams, and I do have to check about 56 times that I don’t have it on my teeth. But this is amazing - and I’m gonna collect them all. A girl’s gotta do, what a girl’s gotta do.


What’s in your winter makeup bag?


Thanks for reading,





* Some items in this post were kindly gifted to me, however, as always, the thoughts are words are 100% honest and my own opinions. A full disclaimer is available on my blog. 


Copyright © Pint Sized Soph
Design by Fearne