6 Things I Wish I Knew Before Going Gluten-Free

Thursday 10 November 2016

(Source: Stokpic)

YOUR SHOPPING BILL JUST BECAME HELLA EXPENSIVE

So this is an obvious one, but a biggie. Since switching my diet, and sifting through the free-from aisle I’ve noticed a steep increase in my weekly food bill. It's even more frustrating because it's the essentials that tend to be the most expensive. It was hard saying goodbye to Lidl own-brand 69p porridge pots, and hello to the £1.50 pots from Tesco... 

YOU DON'T JUST HAVE TO SHOP FROM THE FREE-FROM SECTION

Pasta sauces? Curry sauces? Soups? Don’t be tricked into thinking all you can buy is ‘gluten-free’ sauces, when in fact most supermarket products are naturally gluten free, bar the obvious. It just means you have to take a few extra minutes to read the labels. *yawn* 

SAY GOODBYE TO FAST FOOD

It’s incredibly annoying not being able to grab a 99p cheeseburger from maccies, especially when in other European countries they sell gluten free food! I mean, it’s great if you’re trying to diet… but sucks when you’re incredibly hungover and crave a maccies. 


(FYI: Dominos now have gluten-free pizza bases and they don’t suck, happy days!)

YOU CAN'T JUST 'DO LUNCH'

One of my biggest pains it’s just grabbing a lunch. It’s such a pain trying to pop to a local shop or cafe and grab a light lunch…. because gluten-free options are few and far between. I guess you save money in that respect, but easy on-the-go options are hard to come by.

YOU WILL BECOME THE BOSS OF MEAL PREP

Cooking is such a chore for me, therefore it’s a god send being able to prep my meals. Whenever I cook a meal, I always make sure I make too much, and have some spare for a lunch later on in the week. Not only does it save a lot of time, but it’s easy when the family are having a meal I can’t eat, I’ll just grab one from the freezer. Easy.

YOU WILL BECOME THAT 'ANNOYING' CUSTOMER

"Can I just have that without the bun, and no mayonnaise please, and absolutely please make sure it doesn't cross-contaminate with anyone else's food." Yes. You'll become that guy. I always dreaded that awkward customer, and now you will become that customer.

But it's not all doom and gloom. As more restaurants, and society overall adjusts there are more options popping up all over the place. The options at the main chains of supermarkets becomes better with each day. We just gotta keep on swimming. 


For now,



Copyright © Pint Sized Soph
Design by Fearne